After 1645, oak
Against the pillars opposite and alongside the pulpit stand oak regents’ pews, looking solemn and dignified. This is where the ‘men of quality’ sat: church officials, city leaders, and members of wealthy families. Three of these pews have canopies that set them apart from the others. The pew directly opposite the pulpit is by far the most richly decorated one, with beautifully carved columns and the Amsterdam coat of arms on the canopy. Here, in the best seats in the church, sat the burgomasters. Other congregants rented separate pews or chairs, and sometimes foot stoves to keep them warm. Still others brought their own chairs or remained standing. It was not until 1865, when burial in church was prohibited, that pews became a permanent part of the church interior.